Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spicy Lentils...

TODAY IN THE KITCHEN we have another fasting recipe. I know many folks have a problem with lentils and legumes, but I think if you introduce them slowly into your diet your body can get used to the amount of fiber. I think often times we don't eat enough fiber and then we get to the fast and our body is just not used to the amount of fiber in the fasting diet.

This one that my family enjoys and works during the summer and winter. It's pretty quick and easy and very tasty. I'm sure there are probably as many "dahl" recipes as there are people, but this is mine.

I begin with all my veggies and spices and prepare them to make things easy. While I'm making the lentils I am cooking rice in my rice cooker. In a medium to large sauce pan I put about two table spoons of veggie oil. Just as that's heating I add in the mustard seeds. As they start to flutter I add the onion and saute for a few minutes on medium high heat, then add the garlic, jalapenos, ginger, and spices. (NOTE: be sure not to heat the mustard seeds too much or you'll have them popping out of the pan like popcorn and when they hit you they burn!! I found this out the hard way! So be ready with the other ingredients to prevent this.)


Once I get everything in I saute it all a few minutes so it comes together. Then I add one 16 oz can of chopped tomatoes. Then I add my red lentils and 4 or 5 cups of water. I say red lentils because I find I don't have to soak them before and they cook quickly. Once this starts to simmer put a lid on and turn it down medium/low heat, on my stove that's between 2 and 3. Be sure to check it every so often as the lentils can tend to stick. Add water as needed. You want to keep water covering the lentil mixture until they begin to get tender.


Once the lentils are tender you're in business! I serve this over rice with a bit of cilantro as a garnish. Yum!

The Recipe
1 med onion chopped                                  1 med jalapeno chopped
2 Tbsp minced ginger                                  2 med cloves of garlic minced
1 Tbsp whole mustard seeds                         salt to taste
1 Tbsp ground coriander                              1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 16 oz can chopped tomatoes w/liquid
2  cups red lentils, rinsed                               4 to 5 cups of water
chopped cilantro for garnish       

TIP OF THE DAY: Storing fresh ginger to last! Do you ever buy a piece of ginger root and before you know it, it's shriveled up and really not usable. Well, if you get a mason jar peel your ginger and place it in the jar and fill with vodka, yes vodka! It will stay fresh forever and you'll never be out of fresh ginger again!!                                        


1 comment:

  1. Vodka? Maybe I'll have to try that. This looks good. Too bad John can't eat lentils anymore but maybe I can make this for lunch with the girls?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for stopping by!