Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's coming...

It's May and most folks are starting to think about wrapping up the school year and most kids are starting to get the itch of "spring fever". I however, am looking forward to the Washington Homeschool Organizations (WHO) Annual Convention!! It's such a wonderful event to re-charge your batteries and find some new and exciting curriculum or at least ideas for the upcoming school year. There are so many speakers and there is so much encouragement, I just love getting to attend. Even if I'm not looking for anything in particular.


This year however, I am in search of some new things for my little guys. While I am not unhappy with the tools I used with my older child, it's just different to teach multiple children at the same time rather than one on one. Also, I know so much more about what I'm looking for this time around it's fun to just look! I'd like to find some thing new in terms of math and math games. With my oldest we started with MCP workbooks, then moved on to Singapore Math, then Saxon and now have settled on Math-U-See. While all had strengths and weaknesses, I just am still not completely satisfied with the approaches. My oldest seems to really LOVE Math-U-See, but for me to use it for my little guys I'd have to relearn math in some ways. Their approach, while effective, just isn't the way I think about math and when I have to 'help' I some times confuse the situation and quite frankly don't want to have to read or watch the DVD to get them through it. At least for the K-2nd grade math that we are doing. So we shall see what's out there this year. RightStart Math  is intriguing to me. It is extremely hands on and visual, which seems like a good fit for my kids and my teaching style.

So what do you think? Do any of you have a math curriculum that you're just wild about? If so I'd love to hear from you. Please leave me a comment!! Happy learning!

2 comments:

  1. I have RightStart A that I borrowed from a friend that I am using with Supergirl. I also purchased level B and I have the Math games kit thing. Let's get together and I'll show you what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might use Right Start with Zeb next year. I like Teaching Textbooks for my independent Lizzy and we are using Math in Focus with Ezra and Hannah, which is like Singapore but with a detailed teacher's guide. I like it. I loved Right Start when we used it a few years back but it's very teacher intensive, so I discontinued it because I had a new baby and didn't have that much time. I think I can pull it off next year. We should walk around together at the WHO. We can share experiences with curriculum. I'm making some changes for next year too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Thanks for stopping by!